Monday, 26 May 2014

Flowers and flourishes

Paper Engineering

I took inspiration for this card from HOTP "Susan's Journal of Paper Engineering".

The card is a simple window card. Using an A4 piece of card and folded in half to make a card (using the Crafter's Companion Ultimate), I mat and layered some gold and some criss cross paper on the front from an old Crafter's Companion paper set.

Using the largest of the Spellbinders Classic Oval set, I cut the aperture from the centre of the card (through all three layers).

I placed some beige coloured vellum behind the aperture but it looks white in the picture

I took some rose design paper from the Papermania Nostalgia Warm 12x12 pad and centred the spellbinders die so that some of the roses overhung the oval shape and drew round the inside of the die with a pencil. Cut along the pencil line and around the roses. I also cut out some extra roses to decoupage onto the image.

I cut the paper with the rose aperture down to size, edged it with some pumice stone distress ink and placed over the aperture in the card. I also added some faux stitching with a white pen around the outside.

At this point I should probably have added the stickles around the aperture, but I left that till the end which made it slightly trickier!

The flourishes are cut from the same vellum using the Spellbinders d-lites sprig die.

The bow and lattice ribbon are cut from the same rose paper using Sue Wilson's 3D Lattice Bow dies.

The sentiment is one from a sheet of sentiments but I don't know where it came from. I have lots of them!

I am entering this in the following challenges:

Crafty Cardmakers - flourish challenge
Charisma Cards - May flowers challenge

I am also sending this to the Allsorts Challenge Blog - HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY

Origami inspiration

Paper folding

The card was made using papers from the Gorjuss 6x6 paper selection.

The paper folding (central octagonal shape) is a fancy folded frame from HOTP "Susan's Journal of Paper Engineering", using a sheet of 6x6 paper that had a graduated colour scheme, it looks like more than one piece of paper is involved. I added a central square of blue paper to cover the white background.

On the central square, I added a waterfall folded paper in brown and turned it into a flower box.

The octagonal fold shape is then matted onto blue and silver square mats.

The flowers are from the d-lites dies - basil, sage and lavender.

The tag is from the same Gorjuss papers and a stamp from a freebie magazine set from ages ago.

I am entering this in the Daring Cardmakers challenge - origami

The card I made first for the challenge was the following origami shirt card:

Then I noticed that one of the DT had already done this (Nat's card is fabulous!) so I decided to try again. Love this card though and if my DH hasn't noticed, he may just be getting this in June for Father's Day.

Die Cuts

Tweet Tweet

A quick and simple card made using die cuts - Spellbinders d-lites Tweets and HOTP 4 Seasons tree. The sentiment is from the Clearly Handstamped set.

I am entering this in the Less is More challenge - Die cuts

Sunday, 11 May 2014

Less is More One Layer Thank you card


A simple card made using the Papermania Thank You stamp, which I masked off and then surrounded with flowers from a freebie set from a magazine that I have had for ages and cannot remember where I got them.

The image is coloured using a variety of distress inks.

The image came out larger than I expected so there isn't as much white space as I had hoped but I still like it.

I am entering this in the Less Is More One Layer Challenge.

Fancy Folds

Pop up card

I made a pop up card using the Crafters Companion ultimate pro. It took a few attempts to get the scoring right but I got there in the end.

I used the folded card to create a template for the layers trimming off a small amount each time to create the layers. The papers are from the Gorjuss 6x6 pad.

The lacy effect was done using vellum and a Martha Stewart punch and stuck behind the main fold.

The Gorjuss image was stamped and then coloured in using spectrum noir pens.

To finish - a bit of ribbon, some flowers made from the Spellbinders bitty blossoms set (smallest one), some hearts cut from the Gorjuss papers, a label from the same papers and stamped with a sentiment from the Clearly Handstamped set and stickles for a bit of glitter.

I am entering this in the Allsorts Challenge Fancy Folds.

Monday, 5 May 2014

Colour challenge

The Daring Cardmakers challenge reminded me of some papers I had left from a Craftwork cards kit (sorry can't remember which).

I stamped the Gorjuss image and coloured it with complementary colours from my spectrum noir pens. I cut the image to a rectangle and edged with spiced marmalade distress inks.

The image was mattered onto some of the paper using the Perfect Layers rulers and then onto white card.

The flower was cut from the same paper set using the Spellbinders flower creations die. The flourishes are the Spellbinders d-lites fantastic flourish four die. The sentiment is also from the die d-lites range and is called sentiments one.

Some ribbon and sticklers to finish.

Daring Cardmakers challenge link.

Simple butterflies

The butterfly is a die from Tattered Lace and was cut from white card. I coloured it using three distress inks - spiced marmalade, tumbled glass and shabby shutters.

The background is a piece of vellum cut using the Die'Sire Square Doilies die (the smaller one) and coloured with the same distress inks.

The sentiment is die cut from white card and again coloured with same distress inks. The die is from Spellbinders d-lites sentiment one set.

I am entering the card in the following challenges:

Less is more three colours challenge

Allsorts butterflies challenge

Crafty Cardmakers challenge.